Thursday 24 January 2008

Where am I going?

On Sunday I decided that it was high time I made an effort to get on and do stuff! So Monday dawned and lo it rained all day! It was dark and miserable and I found myself thinking that staying in and reading a book was not that bad. So I did!

Then on Tuesday I visited the Bankfield museum in Halifax to see Jeanette Appleton's Sew Sow exhibition. The pieces are made from needlefelt made on the machine at Huddersfield University and then embellished with bits and pieces and stitching. Some were very large, some very small, but all had an impact. Visit her website for details www.jeanetteappleton.com. There is also a very interesting video in which she describes the processes she used for making the pieces and demonstrates them. So with embellishment all the rage, I came home with good intentions to set up my machine and get started creating a masterpiece, but decided to finish off my sister's little bag first.

This is my problem. I am interested in so many things and keen to practice all sorts of different techniques that I never finish anything! No longer though! My key tasks for the next few weeks are to get all the half completed stuff finished before I start anything new and to get more exercise!

So with that in mind, I put my wheel in the car and went off to Armley Mills Museum for a spinining day with the Spinners of Aire. This group has existed for a long time but I have never managed to go along until now. I'm so glad I did. There were some old friends there, but also people I had not met before. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also got a lot of silk spun and it has encouraged me to do more at home.

So today's jobs are a bit of housework, a bit of TLC for the DH who has gone to the dentist, a bit of sewing, visit the grandchild and more spinning while we catch up on the African football! Think that I am getting the hang of this retirement lark at last!

No comments: