Thursday 5 September 2013

Getting cold feet!

The closer we get to the date of the weaving weekend, the more I'm starting to panic. I have checked the warping instructions so many times that I'm sure the print is wearing out. I've counted the threads, checked the threading, tied and retied to get the perfect tension but I'm still not happy.

The yarn I've chosen is a 2/6 mercerised cotton which I've dyed with procion dyes. We are using a straight threading and for plain weave I'd probably use a sett around 20 epi. The problem is that that is the recommended setting we have been given, but all the books and information seems to be suggesting that for double weave the sett should be twice that. This allows the top and bottom warps to be woven independently as separate layers, or combined in various ways.

So it seems that to get the sett for each layer at 20 epi, you need to double everything up and yet.......

Oh dear. I've asked, but everyone seems to be so far out of their comfort zone that no one seems to be able to agree on what to do.

As I have plenty of yarn I'm going to prepare another warp using double the number of threads. If it turns out that I've not got the first one right I will have time to warp up again but it will be a late night!

In the meantime, I've ordered a book on the subject by Jennifer Moore which is called "Double Weave" and if it arrives in time it may just save my bacon!

In the meantime here's a photo of a work of art made by my DH. Can't go very far wrong with a cairn!

No comments: