Saturday 31 January 2009

Another new toy!

But I can't use it yet! Apparently, the silicon goo won't be set for another 48 hours! As you can see, the DH has started on the woodwork surround, but that has to be finished. Still, as soon as it's water tight, let the dyeing commence!

I visited Texere Yarns last week, just looking for some knitting needles, but ended up with some silk yarn which is calling out to be dyed in shades of blue to weave into a scarf, and some ready dyed silk to use to ply with my boucle yarn spun from this! It is a merino and silk blend and the colours are anything but subtle. Why did I buy it?
Well it was a bit of an impulse buy from Whingham Wools, regretted and pondered over until I remembered that there is more than one way to spin from a roving! How many of us just spilt it long ways, which is fine, but with something as unsubtle as this, the yarn would probably not be very pretty. However, I remembered that I had learned how to spin from the fold on the spinning course last summer so that's what I did. So from this
rather out of focus single, we get this

Not very good photos, but the yarn is much more subtle than I had expected and I am going to use it to make a scarf.
I will continue with the fluffy mohair as soon as we have been able to get the Kromski wheel to hang properly, and this is also destined for a scarf in due course.
It's all go !!!



























No comments: