Saturday 14 February 2009

Let the dyeing commence


Yes the sink and cupboard are now finished and I can use it! We had a small leak that proved to be nothing more than a loose waste pipe. This has been seen to and we are now watertight!

So now all I have to do is to get my dyestuffs into the cupboards and off I go.
Last Saturday's visit to Helmshore Mill has got me into a spinning mood, and I have not forgotten the cotton sliver lurking in the bottom of my basket. I am putting of the final plying of the boucle yarn because I was finding it so difficult, but once that is finished, I won't have any excuse!
It's always so heartening to see young people starting to spin and knit. We have recently had a number of young people visiting our Wednesday group at the Armley Mills Museum. They are learning to spin and so I took my old Ashford Traditional along for them to try. This week Lizzie had a go and first off couldn't get the treadling or the drafting, but then all of a sudden she cracked it and she was off! Spinning an acceptable yarn after only an hour or so! The look on her face was just magical and it gave us all a big lift on a very cold grey day.
So Thursday, with snow forecast and temperatures dropping, we picked up the dear GD from school and brought her home. Imagine our surprise when she sat at my Lendrum wheel and tried to treadle it. As her legs aren't quite long enough for her to reach when she's sitting on a chair, she sat on my little stool and away she went, treadling like a natural. Of course, I took the precaution of disengaging the flyer, so no actual spinning was harmed in the process, but it was just lovely to see her so busy and happy! So having failed to get the DD at all interested in anything textile, it seems I will soon have a GD who can spin! Not bad for a 3 1/2 year old!
And finally, a trip to the Quilt Museum in York on Tuesday resulted in a visit to Sheepish and the purchase of some essential sock yarn. The gloves are almost finished, so now it's on with the socks! Who said retirement was relaxing!

No comments: